For manufacturers who are considering specialized front-end applications like Configure Price Quote (CPQ) and CRM, an advanced 3D solution is a necessary extension of the complete solution.
The 3D solution must automate the generation of configuration-specific detailed 3D models, drawings, and manufacturing information for individual sales opportunities, quotes, and orders. Salespeople, both internal and external, need to be able to show customers visual representations of the complex, configured products they have configured in CPQ to customer requirements and want to sell.
The 3D solution also needs to streamline the manufacturing process by creating detailed CAD drawings and files that are delivered to the shop floor.
3D has become table stakes in order to compete in manufacturing software.
Here are some basic requirements that your 3D manufacturing software has to have:
- Must integrate fully with your CPQ and CRM systems so product visualizations and CAD models can be shared between all the integrated systems.
- In Browser Visualization-- must support product visualization in a browser within your CPQ application with deep capabilities and high performance graphics. This allows salespeople to visually depict configured products to the customers they are selling to, which increases sales.
- The sales and manufacturing processes of configurable products are optimized by the use of 3D graphics and 3D CAD file creation. But these solutions need to be continually evolving to support what are continually advancing requirements within manufacturing. Expert service and support of 3D tools for CPQ are also mission critical.
- All existing CAD Filetype outputs need to be supported, including Sales Drawing (PDF), Solidworks (STP), AutoCAD 2D (DXF).
- As new 3D CAD Filetype outputs are created, the 3D system needs to be agile enough to quickly adapt to support them.
- Ongoing service and support after project completion are essential. After completion of the implementation of the 3D and integrated systems mentioned above, all of the systems require on-demand support from the vendors. But the 3D solution in particular requires a team of 3D and CAD experts to update and support it. This is needed because the complex models written into the 3D solution, which are continually changing as manufacturers’ products and brands evolve, need to be supported by 3D software experts who understand these models and how to adjust them.